Articles on this Page
(showing articles 501 to 520 of 687)
- 03/02/14--09:00: _Lotus 72 John Playe...
- 03/02/14--11:00: _Yamaha 0W16
- 03/03/14--09:00: _Masi Prestige (1975)
- 03/03/14--11:00: _''Lucky'' at Imatra
- 03/04/14--09:00: _Brabham BT46
- 03/04/14--11:00: _Freddie Spencer in ...
- 03/05/14--09:00: _Convair F2Y Sea Dart
- 03/05/14--11:01: _Hail to the King
- 03/06/14--09:00: _Rockstars' Garage: ...
- 03/06/14--11:00: _Mallol and Montesa ...
- 03/07/14--09:00: _Paton S1 Strada
- 03/07/14--11:00: _Juha Kankkunen and ...
- 03/08/14--09:00: _Any fool can make s...
- 03/08/14--11:00: _Fred Gradidge and E...
- 03/09/14--10:00: _Bugatti Type 57G 19...
- 03/09/14--12:00: _Wayne Rainey, Fredd...
- 03/10/14--10:00: _Express Werke Neuma...
- 03/10/14--12:00: _Virginio Ferrari an...
- 03/11/14--10:00: _1915 Rolls-Royce Si...
- 03/11/14--12:35: _Cal Rayborn at Dayt...
(showing articles 501 to 520 of 687)
- 03/02/14--09:00: Lotus 72 John Player Special
- 03/02/14--11:00: Yamaha 0W16
- 03/03/14--09:00: Masi Prestige (1975)
- 03/03/14--11:00: ''Lucky'' at Imatra
- 03/04/14--09:00: Brabham BT46
- 03/04/14--11:00: Freddie Spencer in 1983
- 03/05/14--09:00: Convair F2Y Sea Dart
- 03/05/14--11:01: Hail to the King
- 03/06/14--09:00: Rockstars' Garage: Syb Barrett's Pontiac Parisienne
- 03/06/14--11:00: Mallol and Montesa 1974
- 03/07/14--09:00: Paton S1 Strada
- 03/07/14--11:00: Juha Kankkunen and Juha Piironen Peugeot 205 T16 1986
- 03/09/14--10:00: Bugatti Type 57G 1937 Le Mans
- 03/09/14--12:00: Wayne Rainey, Freddie Spencer and Thadd Wolff Laguna Seca
- 03/10/14--10:00: Express Werke Neumarkt Berufsfahrer Modell Bahn
- 03/10/14--12:00: Virginio Ferrari and Ducati pic by Joan Segura
- 03/11/14--10:00: 1915 Rolls-Royce Silver Ghost
- 03/11/14--12:35: Cal Rayborn at Daytona on the alloy XR 750
The Lotus 72 was a Formula One car designed by Colin Chapman and Maurice Philippe of Lotus for the 1970 Formula One season.
The 72 was yet another innovative design by Chapman featuring inboard brakes, side mounted radiators in sidepods, as opposed to the nose mounted radiators which had been commonplace since the 1950s and an overhead air intake. The overall shape of the car was innovative too, resembling a wedge on wheels which was inspired by the earlier Lotus 56 gas turbine car, and the layout taken from the Lotus 63 four wheel drive project testbed. The shape made for better air penetration and higher speeds. In a back-to-back test with the Lotus 49, the 72 was 12 mph faster with the same Cosworth engine.
Chapman's efforts produced one of the most remarkable and successful designs in F1 history. Taking the stressed engine layout technique from the Lotus 49 and adding advanced aerodynamics produced a car that was years ahead of its rivals. To begin with however, problems with the handling of the car had to be overcome, due to a lack of 'feel' caused by the anti-dive suspension geometry - which was designed to prevent the nose of the car dipping significantly under braking - and the anti-squat set-up at the rear, which was supposed to stop the car 'squatting down' under acceleration. Once the suspension was modified, there were no further problems. The car caused a sensation amongst the media and fans, with many people clamouring to see the remarkable car in action.
The car was introduced partway into the 1970 season, driven by Jochen Rindtand John Miles. Rindt made the car successful, winning the Dutch, French,British and German Grands Prix in quick succession. Rindt was almost certainly going to win the world championship but was killed in a qualifying crash at Monza, driving the 72 with its wings removed. His replacement, Emerson Fittipaldi won the USA race, helping Rindt become F1's only posthumous World Champion. Rindt and Fittipaldi's combined points for the season helped Lotus to its fourth constructors' championship.
The car was developed during 1971 by Tony Rudd who had formerly worked at BRM. He worked especially on redesigning the rear suspension and modified the rear wing to produce more downforce. Fittipaldi struggled during the season but scored good results and finished a respectable sixth, whilst the following season was much better. The development work done behind the scenes helped him become the youngest world champion in F1's history in 1972 winning five races in the 72, whilst Lotus again won the constructors' championship. The car now sported a striking paintscheme of black and gold; Imperial Tobacco had introduced a new brand, and decided to increase exposure and provide more funds to Lotus as part of the deal. Lotus was now sponsored by John Player Special cigarettes.
The 1973 season saw new rules introduced to increase car safety. This included mandatory deformable structure to be built into the sides of the cars, causing the 72 to be further updated with integrated sidepods, larger bodywork and new wing mounts. Fittipaldi was joined for 1973 by the brilliant Swede Ronnie Peterson. Peterson fell in love with the 72; a perfect marriage of car and driver. In his first season with Lotus, Peterson won four races, while Fittipaldi won three, but a number of retirements helped Jackie Stewart snatch the drivers' championship, although the large points tally built up by their two drivers helped Lotus keep the constructors championship. Fittipaldi left for McLaren in 1974, ironically to drive a car closely based on the 72, the McLaren M23.
This left Peterson as team leader, while Jacky Ickx joined the team to partner him. The 72 was meant to be replaced by the Lotus 76, intended to be a lighter and leaner version of the 72, but the cars' technology proved to be too ambitious and the project flopped. Lotus turned to the venerable 72 for the 1974 season. A further update to the car, increasing the front and rear track kept the car competitive. Peterson won another three races and challenged for the championship in a very closely contested season, ably supported by Ickx who turned in solid performances and scored several podiums. The now aging 72 did remarkably well for a four year old design, finishing fourth in the constructors championship but for 1975 without a replacement chassis the 72 was again pressed into service. By now it was obvious that the car, even with further modifications including a wider track and redesigned suspension was no match for the new Ferrari 312T which took the title or even the latest Brabham BT44 and Lotus finished 6th in the constructors' championship.
After 20 wins, 2 drivers' and 3 constructors' championships, the 72 was retired for the 1976 season and replaced by the Lotus 77.
The 1975 350cc Yamaha OW16 ridden by Giacomo Agostini and Hideo Kanaya.
Engine Type: Water cooled parallel twin two-stroke
Bore & Stroke: 64mm x 54mm
Induction: Piston port
Carburettor: Mikuni VM34MG
Power Output: over 70bhp @ 11,000 rpm
Transmission: Dry clutch 6 speed
Machine Type: Race
Fully chromed fork with sloted fisher crown. Race number holder at top tube. The bottom bracket is stamped with Z; SG58; +G followed by an T or E or F. Last letter is not readable.
This Masi has been refinished in a pearl light green and yellow set off embossments. The decals have been varnished. The chrome plating of the fork is superb.
Equipped with '79 Campagnolo Record parts in very good condition, Cinelli cockpit and Cinelli Unicanitor saddle. Mavic Monthlery Pro wheelset with Wolber Neo Pro tubs. Regina Extra chain and freewheel. New brake lever hoods and brake gums. Running smoothly in great working order.
The Brabham BT46 is a Formula One racing car designed by Gordon Murray for the Brabham team, owned by Bernie Ecclestone, for the 1978 Formula One season. The car featured several radical design elements, the most obvious of which was the use of flat panel heat exchangers on the bodywork of the car to replace conventional water and oil radiators. The concept did not work in practice and was removed before the car’s race debut, never to be seen again. The cars, powered by a flat-12 Alfa Romeo engine, raced competitively with modified nose-mounted radiators for most of the year, driven by Niki Lauda and John Watson, winning one race in this form and scoring sufficient points for the team to finish third in the constructors championship.
The "B" variant of the car, also known as the "fan car", was introduced at the 1978 Swedish Grand Prix as a counter to the dominant ground effect Lotus 79. The BT46B generated an immense level of downforce by means of a fan, claimed to be for increased cooling, but which also extracted air from beneath the car. The car only raced once in this configuration in the Formula One World Championship—when Niki Lauda won the 1978 Swedish Grand Prix at Anderstorp. To the dismay of its designer Gordon Murray, the concept was voluntarily withdrawn from racing again by Bernie Ecclestone.
One of the most unusual single-seat fighters to be developed during the early years following World War II, the water-based Convair Sea Dart had a blended hull mounting delta wings and large vertical tail surfaces. For take-off and landing it had extendable hydro-skis; these produced sufficient hydrodynamic lift during the take-off run to raise the hull clear of the water, the Sea Dart then aquaplaning on the skis until flying speed was attained.
The concept embodied in the Convair Model 2-2 proposal was sufficiently interesting for the US Navy to award a contract for a prototype XF2Y-1 on 19 January 1951, followed by an order for 12 production F2Y-1 fighters on 28 August 1952; to this was added subsequently four YF2Y-1 pre-production aircraft. First flown on 9 April 1953, the prototype offered performance much below expectations and this factor, coupled with serious vibration problems with the hydro-skis, led to the XF2Y-1 and the production F2Y-1s being cancelled. More power was needed than the 1542kg thrust provided by each of the Westinghouse J34-WE-32 turbojets installed in the prototype and the first YF2Y-1. This latter aircraft was re-engined with two J46-WE-2s, the rear fuselage being modified to accommodate the engine afterburners and the same powerplant was installed in the remaining three YF2Y-1s. On 3 August 1954 the YF2Y-1 exceeded a speed of Mach 1 in a shallow dive, the first seaplane to become supersonic, but only two of these aircraft were used in a limited test programme that was terminated finally during 1956.
Mickey Finn, from T. Rex fame, won the Pontiac Parisienne at the Royal Albert Hall raffle (New Year 1969). He took possession of it but became paranoid at the unwanted attention it attracted to himself and his fellow passengers. One day he met Syd and they simply swapped cars (Syd had a mini).
But Syd never drove it, so it stayed parked outside the house for a couple of months. A wheel soon went missing and the car accumulated dust, parking tickets and legal notices. In Mick Rock’s photo book one can see that a neighbour wrote a plea in the dust of the trunk to have the car removed. Syd's solution was simple as bonjour: he gave the car away to a stranger. It was seen being driven around South Kensington soon after.
A couple of months after Syd (and before him, Mickey Finn) got the car it was used in the 1970 British movie Entertaining Mr Sloane (not Loot). The car, with its cream red and silver interior, is featured prominently throughout the movie. The flick is not great but the pink Pontiac gives a shiny performance.
Update December 2009: the above paragraph has been corrected as Syd gave the car away before the movie was made and not, as is generally believed, the other way round. For more details: please check Anoraks and Pontiacs.
This leaves us with another enigma. The car in the movie is pink, but was midnight blue when Mick Rock photographed Syd with it. Although Mick Rock seems to remember: "Syd’s car was a conspicuously bright pink Pontiac Parisienne convertible" several colour pictures, probably taken by Storm Thorgerson on the same day, testify against this. JenS adds:
Syd's Pontiac was blue, midnight blue as you say. I have no idea if it was pink before that. I've only heard it was Mickey's and pink from things I've read. I cannot imagine Syd having it resprayed or painting it.
It remains a mystery when and why the kameleon car changed its colours (twice), but if one looks very close at the picture above, there appears to be a trace of 'brownish' paint under the right front light. Could this have been its original color?
The new Paton S1 Strada. It’s a seductive mix of vintage style and modern technology, and best of all, it’s road legal.
There will be four levels of specification, ranging between €16,000 ($22,000) for the ‘standard’ model and €23,000 ($32,000) for limited edition ‘Factory Signature’ models. Most trim levels include custom adjustable forks, Öhlins adjustable shocks and vintage-style instrumentation from Motogadget.
Motorcycling history is littered with the remains of old marques revived and then abandoned, but the signs are very promising with Paton. Production starts in Milan in one month, and 25 bikes are sold already. The company has a long history of building bikes, so the production side should be viable.
Giuseppe ‘Pep’ Pattoni founded the marque in 1958 with Mike Hailwood on board, and by the 70s, his 8-valve 500cc racers were a force to be reckoned with on European tracks. But racing became prohibitively expensive at the turn of the century, so Paton switched focus to building replicas of their 1968 and 1973 racebikes, selling them to privateers competing in ‘classic’ races.
The new Paton S1 may have a resemblance to those replicas, but it’s a completely different beast under the elegant fairing. Power comes from a reliable injected parallel twin—the same 649 cc, liquid-cooled mill used in the Kawasaki ER-6n/Ninja 650. It’s an engine renowned for its broad torque delivery and accessible 72 bhp, and it’s hooked up to a six-speed cassette-style gearbox. Power rises a little thanks to an exhaust system designed by Termignoni.
Performance is brisk. Thanks to a lightweight Claudio Colombo frame and high-spec components, curb weight is a svelte 158 kg with all fluids. Top speed is 215 kph (133 mph), and the Paton sprints to 100 kph in less than four seconds—on a par with much larger bikes such as the BMW R1200RT.
There’s even a chance we’ll see Paton return to full-scale racing. In May, they’ll be fielding a 100 bhp race version of the S1 at the Isle of Man TT, competing in the Lightweight class.
If you’d like to put one of these beautiful machines in your garage, brush up on your Italian and contact Paton via their website at www.paton.it.
Shortly after the introduction of the road-going Bugatti Type 57 began traversing the roadways, racing versions were created. It was a temptation hard to resist, as they were well constructed and a very mature breed. Proper bodies were soon constructed to take absolute advantage of the cars mechanical prowess, and soon began competing on the worlds toughest stages.
A purpose-built version emerged in 1936 dubbed the 57G. It was given the nickname, 'the tank', in recognition of its fully enclosed bodywork. This was not the first time a car had been given this designation; that honor went to the Type 32. A few years later, legendary racer Briggs Cunningham would bring his own version of a streamlined body to LeMans, and the press called it 'Le Monster'. It had a similar, intimidating design that attempted to take advantage of aerodynamic principles.
The Type 57G featured a sloped front with adequate mesh grilles for allowing cool air to pass through the engine and front drum brakes. The aluminum body rested on a steel frame with drum brakes at all four corners. Mounted under the bonnet was an engine similar to the one found in the road-going versions. It was tuned to produce around 200 horsepower and mated to a four-speed gearbox.
The Type 57G enjoyed much racing success in Grand Prix racing and earned many podium finishes. Its aerodynamic body and lightweight construction gave it numerous advantages, including better fuel economy.
The Type 57G was brought to the 24 Hours of LeMans where it was driven by Jean-Pierre Wimille and Robert Benoist to an overall victory, having averaged 85 mph.
The Bugatti marque was absent from LeMans in 1938, but Jean Bugatti was able to convince Ettore to return in 1939. A single entrant was entered, a Type 57C, driven by Wimille and Veyron. It was driven to another victory for the Type 57 and Bugatti legacy, after a Delage driven by Louis Gerard was forced to retire. The winning car was later test driven by Jean Bugatti and wrecked. The accident claimed the life of Jean and the car was never rebuilt.
In total, there were three examples of the Type 57G created in 1936 and the example shown is the only one still in existence. It is part of the Simeone Foundation Museum in Philadelphia PA and carries chassis number 57335. It was the example that won the 24 Hours of Le Mans in 1937, the French Grand Prix, the Grand Prix de la Marne and the Grand Prix de Pau.
By Daniel Vaughan | Jul 2008
A racing success story with the Bugatti Type 57G Tank
The Type 57G Tank was built in Molsheim in 1936 and 1937. Only three cars were produced at the Bugatti manufacturing plant in the Alsace. With these racing cars, Bugatti aimed to lead the world of French motor racing to new victories, as at that time only foreign brands were constantly winning.
Jean Bugatti, son of the company founder Ettore Bugatti, pushed through an initiative to develop a sports car which could be used for long distance competitions. In order to ensure the lowest possible centre of gravity, it was decided to combine the standard type 57S chassis wîth the Bugatti 3.3-liter row eight cylinder and a wheelbase of 2.98 m. The engine of the 57G Tank delivers approximately 200 hp and, thanks to the aerodynamically designed body, could quickly reach higher speeds than that of the competitors at the time.
The car was on the road to success from the very beginning, wîth Jean-Pierre Wimille a fixture at the wheel. His first victories in the 57G Tank were won in 1936 at the Grand Prix de l'A.C.F in Montlhéry and the Grand Prix de la Marne.
For the Le Mans 24 hour race on July 19 and 20th, 1937, Bugatti registered two racing cars of this type. The first car was driven by test drivers Pierre Veyron and Roger Labric, wîth Jean- Pierre Wimille and Robert Benoist taking control of the second Tank. After only a short while, Wimille took the lead and ultimately won the race wîth an average speed of 136.99 km/h (84 MPH) and a total distance of 3,287.938 km (2,043 miles). Thus, he was able to claim Bugatti's very first victory in this legendary race, and became a brand legend himself.
1950s track bike build by Express Werke Neumarkt. This is the model "Berufsfahrer" which translates to "Proffesional Driver".
Exceptional good original condition. Please note the profiled rear stays, which are typical for Express bikes. The bar tape is made of an sort of flimsy paper that has been coated with shellack, the bar ends have been closed with cork. This bike has a inch pitch block chain, Titan Luxe track stem, Scheeren rims at FB hubs, Brooks sprinter saddle, Lyotard Berthet pedals, ...
Frederick Henry Royce was an engineer trained in the British electric power industry. He began tinkering with motor cars in 1902, and soon decided he could build a better car himself. By April 1, 1904, he had a running twin-cylinder car on the road and began production on a modest scale.
Charles Stewart Rolls, 14 years his junior, was born to Lord and Lady Llangattock and educated at Cambridge University. He became fond of bicycle racing and took to motor racing in 1899 with a de Dion-Bouton tricycle. In 1902, with his father’s backing, he began importing French cars to London and selling them. In the course of his business he tested a Royce car; his friend Henry Edmunds, a pioneer motorist and founder of the Royal Automobile club, arranged for him to meet Henry Royce over lunch in May 1904.
The two men hit it off very well, and Rolls took on the selling of Royce’s entire output. The first Rolls-Royce car was shown at the Paris Salon in December 1904, and by 1905 both three- and four-cylinder cars were in production. In 1906, Rolls canceled all his other franchise arrangements and devoted himself entirely to the sales of Rolls-Royce cars. It was at this time that the two men’s businesses were merged as Rolls-Royce, Ltd.
Henry Royce was embarking on largely uncharted territory when he set out to design a six-cylinder engine in 1906. In Britain, only Napier espoused the concept, and the vitality of longer crankshafts was of concern. Royce went back to basics and placed two sets of three cylinders on a common crankcase, set back-to-back such that the third and fourth pistons rose and fell together. Pressure lubrication was a forward-looking feature. Production began in 1907, the most famous of the genre being a silver Barker-bodied tourer built for Managing Director Claude Johnson. Christened “Silver Ghost”, its name was later appropriated for the entire 19-year model run of what was officially called the 40/50, from its horsepower rating. The Autocar opined on its ghost-like behavior: “At whatever speed the car is being driven on its direct third there is no engine as far as sensation goes, nor are one’s auditory nerves troubled…by a fuller sound than emanates from an eight-day clock.”
The legendary London-Edinburgh model resulted from a 1911 challenge by archrival Napier. Napier’s distributor Selwyn Francis Edge entered a 65-hp car in an RAC-observed run from London to Edinburgh, driven entirely in high gear. Rising to the challenge, Rolls-Royce responded with a nearly standard Silver Ghost chassis clad in attractive, lightweight tourer bodywork. Higher compression and a larger carburetor were the only mechanical modifications.
The Silver Ghost remained in production through 1925, with electric lights and self-starter made standard in 1919 and four-wheel brakes late in 1923. Progress at other prestige makes like Hispano-Suiza, however, resulted in the Ghost becoming an anachronism, so when a revised overhead-valve model was introduced in May 1925 it was given a new name: New Phantom.